Monday, February 3, 2014

Finally in Florence!

On January 26th I attended an orientation in the Hotel Michelangelo and then we were put into taxis to go to our apartments. I loved my apartment right away, it was a nice size and had a lovely view. Things got a little sad though when the wifi refused to work, the refrigerator wouldn't get cold, and the hot water refused to exist. The funny thing was that the hot water HAD existed when the landlord showed it to us, but when we needed it a couple of hours later it was nowhere to be found.
That evening was quite eventful as me and three other friends got lost going to and from a restaurant that had been recommended by AIFS. On our way to the restaurant we stopped in front of another restaurant to try and read our map by its light. The owner came out and the conversation went something like this:
"Are you lost? You need help?"
"Yes, do you know where the restaurant __ is?"
"WHY would you want to go there? They have nothing special there. Well, I guess they have pizza... Americans like pizza."

"We have meal vouchers from our school to go there. You know, we get the food for free."
"You have meal vouchers there?! How do they get to have meal vouchers there?! How do I sign up MY restaurant to get meal voucher for there? What school you go to?"

"AIFS."
"AIFS," he mumbled as he typed it on his phone, "I will contact them so you can get meal vouchers here. Then you can come back and have GOOD food."


After he gave us directions, we finally made it to the place. He was right, it wasn't anything special. It was very Americanized and every person dining in there was speaking English.

Then we got lost going back from the restaurant! A Japanese lady who had a tour guide badge finally stopped and asked us if we were okay. Apparently we were on the other side of the historical center! She walked us to the Duomo and asked if we could find our way back from there. Like dorks we said of course we could. We walked in circles for about 30 more minutes when it only should have taken us five. It certainly didn't help my nerves that every dude we passed by had to tell us how beautiful we were and ask what party we were going to.
"Ciao bella! You going to party? What party you going to?"
or "You want to come to my party? Oh no? Maybe another time? Tomorrow?"
I mean seriously, how stupid do I look!? huh? Wait, don't answer that....
Well, we made it back alive, and I sat on my bed and cried.
The End!

No comments:

Post a Comment