Sunday, February 2, 2014

More Traveling.....

The plane ride from San Francisco to Zurich, Switzerland was about eleven hours long. I talked the ear off of the girl next to me, ate interesting airplane food for the first time, watched Wolverine, and tried without success to fall asleep. I spent the night eyeing all the peaceful sleepers with envy and thinking how next time I would call ahead and order the Kosher meal plan (the dude across from me was Jewish and his food looked a lot more appetizing than mine).
 Once we landed in Zurich, we went through what felt like a maze to find our next gate. After getting my passport stamped, I waited with my friends near our gate. We got into a bus and were driven to our plane, which was tiny compared to the monster that had flown us to Zurich. I probably would have fallen asleep on that plane but unfortunately I had some makeup stuck in my eye that wouldn't budge. My eyes were very mad at me for wearing makeup for such a long time and they showed their disapproval by watering, burning, and turning red. I don't wonder why I sat alone on the bus to the hotel, I looked like I had a disease. 
I had gotten myself all worked up over going through customs but as with most things I had no reason to. Customs consisted of two uniformed gentlemen that stared deep into one's eyes as one tried to pull one's heavy luggage through a hallway. If they couldn't see any ill intent in one's eyes, they let you pass. I didn't even have to show them my passport or say where I was from, that's how good I am at concealing my wickedness.  
We all spent the night at the Hotel Michelangelo in Florence. I hung out with my friends for a little while at the bar downstairs and watched with amusement as they tried out the phrases in their Italian phrasebooks on the bartender. Once I was too tired to continue watching them ask him how old he was and if he was on facebook with their phrase books, I went up to my room and attempted to fall asleep. Yeah, that didn't work out so well but I had an orientation in the morning so I did my best to convince my body that it was nighttime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment